Been brewing on this for a while, and excited to kick off 2017 with the Criterion Book Club.
What is the Criterion Book Club? It’s a monthly digital book club, focused on literature tying back to the films of the Criterion Collection. All are welcome to join the Facebook group here!
These books can include:
- Novels/plays that have been adapted into films in the CC.
- Biographies/memoirs of key directors, writers, actresses, etc. with films in the CC.
- Analysis/criticism of films or individuals who are featured in the CC.
As a digital book club, we can chat about books in the Facebook group, through blogs – the possibilities are endless! (Just be sure to link back so we can find it!)
Here is a calendar for 2017’s reads —
- Jan: “Making a Film” by Federico Fellini
- Feb: “Picnic at Hanging Rock” by Joan Lindsay
- March: “Godard on Godard” by Jean-Luc Godard
- April: “The Last Temptation of Christ” by Nikos Kazantzakis
- May: “The Graduate” by Charles Webb
- June: “Something Like an Autobiography” by Akira Kurosawa
- July: “A Room with a View” by E.M. Forster
- Aug: “Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life” by Sophia Loren
- Sep: “The Silence of the Lambs” by Thomas Harris
- Oct: “Rosemary’s Baby” by Ira Levin
- Nov: “Hitchcock” by Francois Truffaut
- Dec: “The Name Above the Title: An Autobiography” by Frank Capra
With over 800 films in the Criterion Collection, there is a wealth of books that go along with them – please feel free to chime in the comments section or in the Facebook group for other reads to check out (either as recommendations or ones you’ve been meaning to pick up)!
Hope this takes off as a fun activity for fans of the Collection – happy reading!