In this episode, I sit down with first-time director Beniamino Barrese to discuss his film Storia di B. – La scomparsa di mia madre (The Disappearance of My Mother) (2019), a documentary exploring the life, psychology, and aspirations of his mother Benedetta Barzini. Barrese discusses the challenges of the documentary as a medium, the power of beauty and symmetry, and working with his mother as subject.
This interview was conducted on January 11, 2020 at the 31st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- Kino Lorber: The Disappearance of My Mother
- Palm Springs International Film Festival: The Disappearance of My Mother
- Storia di B. – La scomparsa di mia madre (The Disappearance of My Mother) – my Jan. 2020 essay
- Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Subscribe: iTunes | Spotify | Google | RSS
This episode features the following music excerpts:
- “The Wolves (Act I and II)” by Bon Iver
- “Ilo” by Otto A. Totland