I was lurking on the Criterion web site and stumbled upon the following Phantom Pages – also added my hopes/guesses for possible spines in the future:
- Frank Tuttle – This Gun For Hire
- George Marshall – How the West Was Won
- Kirsten Johnson – Citizenfour, Pray the Devil Back to Hell
- Buichi Saito – Lone Wolf and Cub
- Edward Sedgwick – The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Tod Browning – Freaks
- Harmony Korine – Spring Breakers
- John Cameron Mitchell – Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Shortbus
- Raoul Walsh – The Thief of Baghdad
- Mervyn LeRoy – Little Caesar, The Bad Seed
- Irving Rapper – Now Voyager, The Brave One
- George Sidney – The Harvey Girls, Bye Bye Birdie, Viva Las Vegas
- James Whale – Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein
- George Stevens – A Place in the Sun
This is another batch of adding directors, just weeks after five (yet-unspined) phantom pages were added in June.
A couple observations:
- Both Howard Hughes (from last month’s phantom pages) and James Whale are associated with Hell’s Angels.
- Jack Arnold (from last month), Tod Browning, and James Whale have all directed classic monster movies – possible box set?
Any other guesses for what these pages might indicate? Reply below in the comments!